Current:Home > InvestFirst refugees from Nagorno-Karabakh arrive in Armenia following Azerbaijan’s military offensive -TrueNorth Finance Path
First refugees from Nagorno-Karabakh arrive in Armenia following Azerbaijan’s military offensive
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 04:38:23
YEREVAN, Armenia (AP) — The first refugees from Nagorno-Karabakh have arrived in Armenia, local officials reported Sunday, and more were expected to come after a 10-month blockade and a lightning military offensive this month that resulted in Azerbaijan reclaiming full control of the breakaway region.
Thousands of people were evacuated from cities and villages affected by the latest fighting and taken to a Russian peacekeepers’ camp in Nagorno-Karabakh.
The first group of about 30 people has arrived from Nagorno-Karabakh to Armenia’s Syunik region, Karen Balyan, advisor to the Syunik governor, told Armenian media Sunday. Ethnic Armenian separatist authorities in Nagorno-Karabakh also announced that the Russian peacekeepers would accompany anyone who wanted to leave the region and go to Armenia.
At the same time, two dozen ambulances carried 23 people who sustained severe wounds during the two days of fighting that killed and injured scores of people out of Nagorno-Karabakh to Armenia, the country’s Health Ministry said.
Nagorno-Karabakh is located in Azerbaijan and came under the control of ethnic Armenian forces, backed by the Armenian military, in separatist fighting that ended in 1994. During a six-week war in 2020, Azerbaijan took back parts of Nagorno-Karabak along with territory surrounding the region that Armenian forces had claimed during the earlier conflict.
A Russia-brokered armistice ended the war, and a contingent of about 2,000 Russian peacekeepers was sent to the region to monitor it. Parts of Nagorno-Karabakh that weren’t retaken by Azerbaijan remained under the control of the separatist authorities.
In December, Azerbaijan imposed a blockade of the only road connecting Nagorno-Karabakh with Armenia, alleging that the Armenian government was using the road for mineral extraction and illicit weapons shipments to the province’s separatist forces.
Armenia charged that the closure denied basic food and fuel supplies to Nagorno-Karabakh’s approximately 120,000 people. Azerbaijan rejected the accusation, arguing the region could receive supplies through the Azerbaijani city of Aghdam — a solution long resisted by Nagorno-Karabakh authorities, who called it a strategy for Azerbaijan to gain control of the region.
On Tuesday, Azerbaijan launched heavy artillery fire against ethnic Armenian forces in Nagorno-Karabakh, who conceded to demands to lay down their arms that next day. Nagorno-Karabakh’s final status remains an open question, however, and is at the center of talks between the sides that began Thursday in the Azerbaijani city of Yevlakh.
As part of a cease-fire agreement reached last week, the separatist forces in Nagorno-Karabakh started surrendering tanks, air defense systems and other weapons to the Azerbaijani army. As of Sunday, the process of surrendering arms was still underway, the Azerbaijani military said.
Azerbaijan’s Interior Ministry said Sunday that disarmed and demobilized Armenian troops would be allowed to leave the region and go to Armenia.
___
Associated Press writer Dasha Litvinova in Tallinn, Estonia, and Aida Sultana in London contributed to this report.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- 'Are We Dating the Same Guy?' What to know about controversial Facebook groups at center of lawsuit
- Louisiana lawmakers pass new congressional map with second majority-Black district
- Lions finally giving fans, including Eminem, chance to cheer for a winner after decades of futility
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Angst over LGBTQ+ stories led to another canceled show. But in a Wyoming town, a play was salvaged
- EU, AU, US say Sudan war and Somalia’s tension with Ethiopia threaten Horn of Africa’s stability
- 6 nuns have been kidnapped in Haiti while they were traveling on a bus, religious leaders say
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- NYC mayor vetoes bill expanding reporting of police stops, faces override by City Council
Ranking
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Inside Dolly Parton's Ultra-Private Romance With Husband Carl Dean
- Namibian President Hage Geingob will start treatment for cancer, his office says
- Johnny Depp credits Al Pacino with his return to directing for 'Modi' film: See photos
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- U.S. shrimpers struggle to compete as cheap foreign imports flood domestic market
- BodyArmor launches sugar-free, carb-free version of popular sports drink
- Mexican president calls on civilians not to support drug cartels despite any pressure
Recommendation
Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
Walmart scams, expensive recycling, and overdraft fees
Rhode Island govenor wants to send infrastructure spending proposals to voters in November
Biden’s campaign pushes abortion rights in the 2024 battle with Republicans
Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
In this Oklahoma town, almost everyone knows someone who's been sued by the hospital
California Senate leader Toni Atkins announces run for governor in 2026
NFL playoff picks: Will Chiefs or Bills win in marquee divisional-round matchup?